We’re advising tenants to be aware of bogus callers at their homes following an incident in Ashington yesterday (Monday February 6th).
A tenant contacted us to say that a man called at his home saying he was there to carry out a gas service.
The tenant challenged the caller who left without gaining access to his property.
The tenant was suspicious of the caller as he had only recently had a gas service carried out by Bernicia at his property and knew he had received no further contact from us about any more work that needed doing.
Here’s our advice about how to stay safe in your home:
- Our repairs and servicing teams who carry out work in your home will always carry identification
- Ask to see this identification before you let them in
- Our people are trained to expect these questions and won’t be offended if you ask
- We will always contact you in advance of attending your home to service a gas appliance or carry out a repair
- If a caller can’t show identification or you are in any way suspicious of them – don’t let them in.