Renting a Property

Looking for a new home, you’ve come to the right place. We have over 14,000 rented properties across the North East, catering for a wide range of age groups and family sizes.

If you want to find out more about our properties and make an enquiry about applying click “Find a Property”

To give yourself the best chance of renting from Bernicia Homes, you should also register with your local authority Choice Based Lettings Scheme.

For North Tyneside, South Tyneside, Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead, visit:

For Northumberland, visit:

For Durham, visit:

For Sunderland, visit:

*Sunderland City Council do not operate a Choice Based Lettings Scheme but do have nomination rights for Bernicia Homes vacancies.


Renting a home

Our promise to you

We will:

  • Have a clear application, decision-making and appeal process
  • Provide clear information about our properties on our website
  • Promote online applications, with support for those who can’t do this themselves
  • Carry out pre-tenancy income and expenditure checks to make sure your home is affordable
  • Make sure that all properties are clean, safe and secure when let
  • Provide clear, practical advice on appliances and central heating.



Your Tenancy

Your Rent

Benefits and Money

Looking After Your Home


Keeping Safe

Here you’ll find information and guides on keeping you and your home safe. For copies of the policies relating to the safety information:

Call us on 0344 800 3800


Retirement Housing

Care and Support

We want to help as many people as possible in the North East find a house they can call home. Whatever circumstance, whatever situation, we can give people the support they need to get on with their life.

County Durham Handyperson Service

EU Settlement Scheme – Important Advice

Following the UK’s decision to leave the European Union, tenants who are EU, EEA, or Swiss citizens and their family members, will need to apply to the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS) for new immigration status.

This will allow these citizens to continue to live, work and study in the UK.

It is important that everyone eligible applies as failure to do so will mean you, or members of your family, will no longer be able to continue to live in the UK.

It will also mean you will no longer be eligible for public services, such as healthcare and schools, public funds and pensions.

The deadline for applications is 30th June 2021. You can apply for settled status through this link where the Government website will take you through the process step by step:

Someone is likely to need to apply if:

  • You are living in the UK with an EU passport
  • You were given ‘permanent residence’ rights because you are from a European country

If you need to apply, you are also likely to need to apply for:

  • Your children who were born in the UK
  • Your non-EU national family members

If you have an immigration status for a different reason or already hold a British passport, you may not need to apply. If you are not sure, it is important to go to the Government’s EU Settled Status website:


Help and Support

There’s details about help and support available through the Government here: EU settlement scheme – Important Information leaflet (2020) (

Free advice is also available in the North East from these organisations:

Your Homes Newcastle (you do not have to be a Your Homes Newcastle tenant.)

Email or telephone 0191 277 1190

North East Law Centre – For complex cases

Weekly advice line Fridays 10am to 1pm on telephone 0191 230 4777. Email

Newcastle – Riverside Community Health Project 

Telephone: 0794 319 7249 or email:

Children’s Society North East 

Telephone: 0191 349 9481 or email: