The Government today announced new local lockdown restrictions for a large part of the North East in a bid to tackle the spread of Coronavirus which has seen a significant rise in cases in the past fortnight.
We’ve been looking at these new measures and what they will mean for Bernicia, our staff, tenants and customers.
What are the new measures?
From midnight tonight regulations will ban the following;
- People will not be allowed to socialise with others from different households or outside their support bubble in private homes and gardens
- Hospitality for food and drink will be restricted to table service only
- Late night restriction of operating hours will be introduced, with leisure and entertainment venues required to close between 10pm to 5am.
Residents are also advised to adhere to the following guidance to further reduce rates of infection:
- Not to socialise with other people outside of their own households in all public venues
- Only to use public transport for essential purposes, such as travelling to school or work
- Take holidays only within your own household or support bubble
- Avoid attending amateur and semi-professional sporting events as spectators.
These new measures cover Northumberland, North Tyneside, Newcastle, Gateshead, South Tyneside, Sunderland and County Durham. Other areas of the North East are not affected by these measures.
As far as Bernicia is concerned we’ll continue to operate full services, working in safe ways for our tenants, customers and staff. Repairs will continue as usual as will letting properties and other housing services.
A lot of our work is done inside your home, so before we visit or enter your home we will continue to ask if you have any Coronavirus symptoms or if you are self-isolating.
When we are in your home we’ll maintain a safe distance and where needed we’ll wear appropriate personal protective equipment.
You can also help us by answering our questions and by providing a clear access route through your home by opening all doors that lead to the area where we need to work.
We’ll maintain a safe social distance and ask you to stay in a separate room. We will complete our work as quickly as we can when we visit.
The use of communal facilities at our extra care and sheltered housing schemes will continue to be limited.
Bernicia is committed to doing everything we can to keep tenants, customers and communities safe.
For any enquiries you have, please call our customer advice team on 0344 800 3800.