We are on course to deliver more than 600 new homes for the North East as part of our five year strategic plan to invest £200m into houses and communities across the region.
Originally, Bernicia had forecast to build 500 homes over a five-year period until 2023, but sound financial management and governance has allowed us to seize opportunities to build more badly needed quality new homes for affordable rent and shared ownership.
House building schemes across the region include:
- Thirty seven homes for affordable rent planned in partnership with Sunderland City Council on the former Southwick Primary School site. The properties for rent and shared ownership include bungalows and two, three and four bedroom homes with private gardens and parking.
- Sixty homes planned in a two acre development in Cramlington with affordable rents and shared ownership for older people (image above). Developers Tolent Living have been appointed to build 48 two bedroom apartments with flexible care accommodation, including communal facilities. The development also features four two-bedroom apartments and eight two bedroom bungalows. Subject to planning permission, start on site will be January 2020 with completion mid-2021.
- Seahouses – Work is progressing well to complete six new bungalows and three two-bedroom homes in the Northumberland coastal community. Built by Bernicia’s own in-house construction team, the properties boast the latest underfloor air flow heating technology to substantially cut tenants’ fuel bills. The homes are expected to be completed in February next year.
- Work with Sunderland City Council is nearing completion to convert flats in four town houses into ten apartments for specialist supported living.
- Newburn – Bernicia is delighted to have been appointed as the preferred developer by Newcastle City Council to lead on a scheme to build 20 properties to meet the needs of people with learning disabilities.
- South Green Lane, Ashington. Planning permission sought for eight bungalows for rent and shared ownership.
We are also in advanced discussions to deliver a further 230 new homes across County Durham, Northumberland and Tyne and Wear.