Renting a Property
Looking for a new home, you’ve come to the right place. We have over 14,000 rented properties across the North East, catering for a wide range of age groups and family sizes.
If you want to find out more about our properties and make an enquiry about applying click “Find a Property”
To give yourself the best chance of renting from Bernicia Homes you should also register with your local authority Choice Based Lettings Scheme.
For North Tyneside, South Tyneside, Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead visit:
For Northumberland visit:
For Durham visit:
For Sunderland visit:
*Sunderland City Council do not operate a Choice Based Lettings Scheme but do have nomination rights for Bernicia Homes vacancies.
Renting a home
Our promise to you
- Have a clear application, decision making and appeal process
- Provide clear information about our properties on our website
- Promote on-line applications, with support for those who can’t do this themselves
- Carry out pre-tenancy income and expenditure checks to make sure your home is affordable
- Make sure that all properties are clean, safe and secure when let
- Provide clear, practical advice on appliances and central heating.
Benefits and Money
Looking After Your Home
Care and Support
County Durham Handyperson Service
Compliments and Complaints
Bernicia have teamed up with Housing e-Academy, a division of Virtual College to offer 18 free courses to all Bernicia residents.
The 18 courses cover four main topics which users can complete at their own pace.
Around the Home
- Basic Home Maintenance
- Saving Energy to Reduce Bills
- Pest Awareness
- Feeding a family on a budget
- What is Telehealth?
Using the internet
- Starting out on the internet
- Internet safety
- The power of the internet
- Getting started with social media
- Hate crime
- Anti-Social behavior
- Issues surrounding drugs
- Issues surrounding alcohol
- Preparing for interviews
- Gypsy and traveler culture
- Building a community
- Cultural awareness respect
Residents wishing to sign up to e-learning will need to have access to a computer. This can be either at home or a local library and you must be a Bernicia tenant.
Log on using the following website details